Rhode Island Family Hospitalized with Suspected Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

February 21, 2017

A family of five from Rhode Island has been taken to the hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

Smithfield Fire Chief Robert Seltzer says it appears the two adults and three children were overcome by carbon monoxide from a malfunctioning heating system in their home. Seltzer says firefighters took carbon monoxide readings in the house of more than 700 parts per million, well above the 35 to 40 parts per million considered unsafe.

He says the father was working in the garage at about 8:30 p.m. Wednesday when he went back in the house to find the woman and children ages 7, 9 and 11 unconscious. He called 911.

Two children and the mother were still unconscious when they were transported to the hospital.

No names were released.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.