Fire at Decades-Old Maryland Tavern Caused $500K in Damage

February 15, 2018

Firefighters say a blaze at a decades-old Maryland tavern in a Washington, D.C. suburb has caused damage costing roughly $500,000.

Pete Piringer with Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Service tells WTTG-TV it appears the flames at Hank Dietle’s Tavern in Rockville were caused accidentally. Dozens of firefighters worked several hours overnight to control the blaze after it had been reported early Wednesday.

Hank Dietle’s opened in the 1950s after a fire destroyed the establishment that preceded it at the same location. The tavern featured live music and drinks.

Piringer says discarded smoking materials likely started the fire.

Information from: WTTG-TV

Topics Trends Restaurant Maryland

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.