Representatives of employers, organized labor, insurance companies, plaintiff’s attorneys, medical providers and defense attorneys have formed Kids’ Chance of Maine to provide scholarships to the children of workers who have been seriously injured or killed on the job.
The Maine organization joins 43 other state-based scholarship organizations that raise and disburse tuition aid to family members of injured workers. In 2018, more than $2.7 million was awarded by Kids’ Chance affiliates to more than 650 students pursuing degrees in higher education.
The new organization will begin fundraising immediately and will hope to award its first scholarships in 2020.
The newly formed board elected the following officers:
- President: Richard Tucker, Tucker Law Group, Bangor, Maine
- Vice President: Paul Sighinolfi, Ametros, Brewer, Maine/Wilmington, Mass.
- Secretary: Marti Conti, Eastern Alliance, Auburn, Maine
- Treasurer: Steven Hoxie, Workers’ Compensation Residual Market Pool, Scarborough, Maine
Other people elected to the board of directors include:
- Dan Swift, Acadia Insurance, Westbrook, Maine
- Peter Gore, Maine State Chamber of Commerce, Augusta, Maine
- John Leavitt, New England Regional Council of Carpenters, Portland, Maine
- Tony Payne, MEMIC, Portland, Maine
- Doug Kaplan, Kaplan & Grant, Portland, Maine
- Dr. Kenji Saito, Maine General Medical Center, Augusta, Maine
- Tawnya Brown, Concentra, South Portland, Maine
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.