The recent theft of money from accounts at retailer Tesco’s online banking arm caused the British authorities to enact contingency plans to allow lenders to share information after the attack, the Bank of England said on Wednesday.
The bank also said in its twice-yearly Financial Stability Report that the so-called CBEST framework for testing vulnerabilities to cyber attacks at financial firms will in future include regular spot checks by supervisors.
Critical firms will also be subject to regular “cyber resilience testing” based on a common “threat” set by the financial regulators and the new National Cyber Security Centre.
The BoE said incidents this year have highlighted how cyber and technology-enabled attacks on banks continue to pose a serious threat to the financial system.
Tesco Bank said earlier this month that 2.5 million pounds was stolen from a total of 9,000 customers, described by regulators as an unprecedented incident.
“In response to the recent incident at Tesco Bank, the UK authorities activated a contingency plan … to share intelligence across firms, allowing other institutions to review their own resilience to such threats,” the BoE said.
(Reporting by Huw Jones; editing by Greg Mahlich)
- Tesco Reveals $3M Was Stolen from 9,000 Customers in Recent Cyber Bank Theft
- Tesco Bank’s Cyber Attack Investigated by UK’s National Crime Agency
- Cyber Criminals Steal Money from Nearly 20,000 Customers of UK’s Tesco Bank
- U.S. Seeks Tougher Cybersecurity Standards for Banks
- UK Banks Reluctant to Report Extent of Relentless Cyber Attacks
- SWIFT Expects Cyber Attacks on Banks to Increase
- New York Proposes ‘Flexible’ Cybersecurity Regulation for Insurers, Banks
- EU Members Should Run Stress Tests for Banks’ Cyber Risks: EU Banking Chief
- Cyber Attacks on Financial Firms Up; Ransomware Attacks Way Up: Beazley
- UK Banks Ordered to Update Cyber Security After $81M Bangladesh Bank Heist
- Urgent Action Needed to Tackle Systemic Threat of Cyber Risk: Marsh & TheCityUK
- Bank of England Faces ‘Advanced, Persistent & Evolving’ Cyber Threats
- Malware Used to Steal $80M-Plus in Bangladesh Cyber Bank Heist: Officials
- Cyber Attacks On Banks More Serious Than Public Realizes
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.