South Africa declared a national disaster after floods and storms caused widespread damage in the country, allowing the government to free up funds for relief and reconstruction.
Disruptive rains, floods, strong winds and hail from Oct. 22 to Oct. 29 affected the Eastern Cape, KwaZulu-Natal, Free State, Limpopo, North-West, Gauteng and Mpumalanga provinces, Elias Sithole, head of the National Disaster Management Centre, said in an official notice on Wednesday. That caused damage to property, infrastructure and the environment, and disrupted the provision of basic services, he said.
The floods left at least 10 people dead and hundreds more displaced in the Eastern Cape alone, Johannesburg-based broadcaster eNCA reported.
The declaration of a national disaster assigns primary responsibility for the coordination and management of the clean-up to the national government, Sithole said.
The announcement comes almost a year after South Africa proclaimed a climate-related national disaster following floods and storms in three coastal provinces in September and October 2023.
In addition to last month’s storms, the country had unseasonal snow in September that closed a major highway for two days, and a major snowfall in November for the first time in 85 years.
Photograph: Damage caused to road infrastructure by heavy rains and flooding in Kariega, South Africa, on Oct. 29, 2024. Photo credit: Lulama Zenzile/Gallo Images/Getty Images
Related:
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.

Insurance Issue Leaves Some Players Off World Baseball Classic Rosters
State Farm Adjuster’s Opinion Does Not Override Policy Exclusion in MS Sewage Backup
How One Fla. Insurance Agent Allegedly Used Another’s License to Swipe Commissions
Florida Engineers: Winds Under 110 mph Simply Do Not Damage Concrete Tiles 

