The state has appealed a judge’s order granting $860 million in repayments from Ohio’s insurance fund for injured workers to employers the judge says were charged excessive premiums for nearly a decade.
An Ohio Bureau of Workers’ Compensation spokeswoman said the appeal was filed Tuesday.
It opposes the reimbursement set last month by Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Richard McMonagle.
The money award came in a 2007 lawsuit over discounted premiums the bureau gave to companies that joined group insurance plans. The cost of the discounts was passed along to companies not participating in or kicked out of the groups. McMonagle ruled the scheme unfair in December.
Roughly 270,000 mostly small-business owners are affected.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
How One Fla. Insurance Agent Allegedly Used Another’s License to Swipe Commissions
Munich Re Unit to Cut 1,000 Positions as AI Takes Over Jobs
Gun Accessory Company to Pay $1.75 Million to Buffalo Supermarket Shooting Victims
Trump’s EPA Rollbacks Will Reverberate for ‘Decades’ 

