President Donald Trump blamed Minnesota state officials with whom he has feuded for cyberattacks on multiple water systems there, despite reports that officials suspected Iranian involvement in the disruptions.
The New York Times, citing U.S. and state officials, reported that preliminary assessments suggested the attacks were the work of Iranian hackers. Trump, speaking during a cabinet meeting at the Camp David presidential retreat on Friday, dismissed those findings.
“We heard in Minnesota there was a cyber attack, and they blame it on Iran. I don’t think so. I think I blame it on Minnesota because they’re grossly incompetent,” Trump said.
Related: Cost of a Data Breach Reaches Record $5 Million on Average
The president has long been critical of Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, a Democrat who was Vice President Kamala Harris’ running mate in the 2024 election that Trump and his running mate, JD Vance, won. Tensions between Trump’s administration and Minnesota authorities reached a boiling point earlier this year after the killing of two U.S. citizens by immigration agents during street protests.
“There was a cyber attack of 30 water plants, and I would blame it on Minnesota and the governor, the corrupt governor of Minnesota. They like to say, ‘Oh, it’s Iran.’ Iran should be so lucky. Iran’s got bigger problems than worrying about Minnesota,” Trump said.
The U.S. and Israel launched a war against Iran in early February.
Trump has long clashed with the U.S. intelligence community. During his first term, he dismissed their findings that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election, which he won.
Photo: Photographer: Chris Ratcliffe/Bloomberg
Topics Cyber
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.

At-Bay to Be Acquired by Munich Re for $575 Million
11 New Firms Join Insurance Journal’s Top 100 Independent Agencies
US Ready to ‘Take Any Actions Necessary’ to Fight EU ESG Rules
Lindberg’s Right-Hand Man Sentenced to Two Years After Cooperating With Prosecutors 

