AON Says It Still Can’t Account for About 200 Employees

September 18, 2001

Chicago-based Aon Corp., the world’s No. 2 insurance broker with about 1,100 staff in the World Trade Center, said on Friday that 200 employees remained unaccounted for after the Sept. 11 attack that destroyed the twin towers.

“It grieves me to report at this time, despite all of our efforts, we have been unable to obtain information from any sources concerning the safety of approximately 200 Aon employees,” Chief Executive Patrick Ryan said in a statement.

Besides the 1,100 workers in the World Trade Center, about 250 other employees were either traveling to New York or working in downtown Manhattan when the attack took place last week. The company said it is working with authorities to determine the status of all of its workers in the area.

Skip to toolbar