Surplus Line Association of Wash. Administers Flood Insurance Program

June 29, 2010

Washington State Insurance Commissioner Mike Kreidler and more than two dozen insurance companies have launched a new program to help Green River Valley businesses struggling to find flood coverage.

The “Washington Flood Market Assistance Plan” will act as a matchmaker, pairing businesses needing coverage with insurers selling it. The Surplus Line Association of Washington has agreed to act as administrator of the plan.

Last year, concerns about potential flooding below the Howard Hanson Dam made it difficult for some area businesses to find adequate coverage. Kreidler worked with state lawmakers and Gov. Chris Gregoire to get the law changed to allow this program.

“The Green River Valley is a key part of the state’s economy,” said Kreidler. “Companies must be able to find adequate coverage, both for flood damage and for business interruptions due to flooding.”

To date, 26 companies have volunteered to take part in the program, at Kreidler’s request. Businesses seeking coverage must apply through an agent or broker.

“I appreciate the willingness of insurers to step forward and try to resolve this situation,” Kreidler said.

If the voluntary program is not effective, recently passed legislation also gives the insurance commissioner the power to compel companies to form a “joint underwriting association.” The joint underwriting association would act as an insurer of last resort.

“It remains my goal to resolve this on a voluntary basis if possible,” Kreidler said.

He’s also urging anyone in the potential flood areas – including homeowners and renters — to strongly consider purchasing coverage from the National Flood Insurance Program.

“For many homeowners and renters, the federal flood program coverage may be all the coverage they need,” he said.

For businesses, however, federal flood coverage is limited to $500,000 per building and $500,000 for contents. Also, the program doesn’t provide business-interruption coverage.

Applications must come from an agent or broker; businesses cannot apply directly. For frequently asked questions, the insurance commissioner’s office has set up a Web page at

Source: OIC

Topics Excess Surplus Flood Washington

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.