Deutsche Bank Exec Files $50M Claim Against LA

By | August 30, 2012

A senior executive at Deutsche Bank has filed a $50 million claim against the city of Los Angeles, alleging he was beaten by two officers during a bizarre incident after they dropped him off at a motel where they ordered him to stay until the following morning.

Brian Mulligan, 53, filed the claim, a precursor to a lawsuit, earlier this month, saying his injuries included a broken nose and shoulder. He said he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder and his medical bill could reach $1 million because of his encounter with police.

“I think their actions were excessive,” Mulligan’s attorney, J. Michael Flanagan, said of the officers Monday. “I don’t know why they did what they did, but as soon as we file a lawsuit, we can get depositions and find out what they did.”

Police arrested Mulligan for investigation of resisting arrest, but county prosecutors declined to file charges. A declination letter from prosecutors said Mulligan had been “acting crazy” and was injured after he swung and lunged at officers who restrained him.

Police declined comment Monday, citing the pending claim.

The strange set of events began on the night of May 15 for the Deutsche Bank vice chairman, who also once served as co-chairman of Universal Studios and chief financial officer of Seagram Co. Flanagan wouldn’t say what Mulligan was doing in Highland Park, about 10 miles from his home in La Canada-Flintridge, but maintained his client believes “someone was chasing him.”

When police found Mulligan, he was sweating _ Flanagan said his client had run a mile _ and his gait was unsteady. A field sobriety test was performed that determined Mulligan wasn’t under the influence, he said. However, Mulligan told police he had used bath salts and marijuana four days prior, Flanagan said. “He was found to be calm, lucid and cooperative,” Flanagan said.

Police handcuffed Mulligan, took him to his car that was searched, and then he was driven to a nearby motel where he was told by the officers he must stay, Flanagan said. Mulligan’s car keys were left with a motel manager and his cell phone was left behind in his car, the attorney said.

Alone and with no phone to call his wife, Mulligan eventually left the motel after sitting around for two to three hours and was found by the same officers several blocks away, Flanagan said.

Mulligan ran away but the officers caught up and “proceeded to beat him severely with inappropriate weapons, causing his serious and grievous injury,” according to the claim. Flanagan said Mulligan’s nose was broken in 15 spots.

Mulligan, who has no prior criminal record, was taken to a hospital where he was kept for two days in custody, Flanagan said.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.