Arizona Legislator’s Close Call in I-10 Dust Storm Prompts Call for Action

November 6, 2013

An Arizona legislator had a narrow escape on Interstate 10 last week during a dust storm in Pinal County when chain-reaction collisions killed 3 people.

State Sen. Steve Farley was driving back to Tucson after a meeting in Phoenix when visibility on the freeway plummeted because of the dust storm.

Farley told the Arizona Capitol Times that he stopped just before the collisions started.

He said an SUV landed in the median about 50 feet away and that a tractor-trailer rig then narrowly missed his vehicle before it slammed into other vehicles.

Farley says he’s asking the state Department of Transportation what can be done about dust storms that slash visibility and create dangerous driving conditions on I-10.

Topics Windstorm

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.

Latest Comments

  • November 13, 2013 at 7:16 pm
    Hmmm says:
    I think his comments were taken out of content (just a bit). He made some suggestions of the sound barrier walls (similar to the urban areas) that would hopefully prevent at ... read more
  • November 12, 2013 at 4:42 pm
    Why not says:
    There are many things that could be done to reduce the impact of these storms on the driving public. One of the best would be to put a tunnel up over the interstate so that we... read more
  • November 12, 2013 at 2:16 pm
    CalDude says:
    This article is fantastic...Please let us know what the response from the Dept of Interior...the REAL response....killing me....

Add a CommentSee All Comments (8)Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

More News
More News Features