Victims of a wildfire that burned 24 homes last year are suing the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power, claiming the utility started the huge blaze and failed to properly maintain power lines and equipment.
The Daily News reported Wednesday that about 100 plaintiffs filed suit last month for negligence, dangerous condition of public property and other allegations. They are seeking unspecified damages.
The so-called Powerhouse Fire burned 53 structures over more than 30,000 acres near Santa Clarita and in Angeles National Forest. It began near a hydroelectric power plant.
Results of a U.S. Forest Service investigation have not been released. The DWP, in a statement, said it is also conducting an investigation.
The utility said it doesn’t believe that equipment age was a factor in the fire.
Topics Lawsuits Catastrophe California Natural Disasters Wildfire
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Billionaire Boehly’s Allies Donated Heavily to Kansas Insurance Regulator
Maryland Announces $2.5 Billion Settlement Over Baltimore Bridge Collapse
Progressive Is Biggest Auto Insurer, Surpassing State Farm, Says S&P GMI
Safepoint Exec Pay, Slide’s Stock Sell-Offs Getting Attention in Florida 

