The members of the Surplus Line Association of California have elected Robert Gilbert of Markel West Insurance Services as the new chair of the SLA Board of Directors.
Gilbert’s election was finalized after the SLA tallied the final ballots from members who were unable to attend the SLA Annual Meeting, which took place Feb. 6, and Feb. 8, in San Francisco and Los Angeles, respectively.
Also elected to leadership were Terri Moran of Cove Programs Insurance Services, who becomes vice chair, and Janet Beaver of Tokio Marine-HCC Casualty, who becomes secretary/treasurer.
Gilbert takes over from Tom Ciardello of Worldwide Facilities LLC, who becomes past chair, who completed his 2017 term as chair and was elected to a seat on the board.
Completing the 13-member board are the following individuals who also served on the 2015 board:
- Tim Chaix, R.E. Chaix and Associates
- Rich Gobler, Burns & Wilcox
- Hank Haldeman, The Sullivan Group
- Cameron Kelly, Worldwide Facilities, LLC
- Pam Quilici, Crouse & Associates Insurance Services of Northern California, Inc.
- Les Ross, Wholesale Trading Insurance Services, LLC
- Kathy Schroeder, Sierra Specialty Insurance Services, Inc.
- Gerald Sullivan, The Sullivan Group
- John Washington, Arch Insurance Group
Additionally, SLA members reelected the Honorable Harry Low, a former insurance commissioner and retired presiding justice of the California Court of Appeal, as mediator.
All individuals elected to the 2018 board will serve until balloting is completed following the next SLA Annual Meeting in February 2019.
The SLA operates as a self-governed private organization and serves as the statutory surplus line advisory organization to the California Department of Insurance and facilitates the state’s capacity to monitor and direct surplus line brokers’ placements of insurance with eligible nonadmitted insurers.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.