A federal judge will hold a hearing on whether the Archdiocese of Santa Fe in New Mexico must disclose records on insurance coverage expected to pay much of a settlement in a case involving over 400 hundreds of victims of clergy sexual abuse.
U.S. Bankruptcy Judge David T. Thuma scheduled a hearing Monday on the archdiocese’s request last month to seal the documents because agreements between the archdiocese and insurers indicated they’d be confidential, the Santa Fe New Mexican reported.
Diocese attorney Thomas Walker said breaching those agreements’ confidentiality provisions could cause them to be voided and lead to expensive and extended litigation of coverage disputes.
Merit Benefit, a lawyer for several victims, objected to confidentiality and sealing of records and told the New Mexican in an interview that secrecy is what led to the tragedy of widespread priest abuse of children in the first place.
Topics Legislation
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.

Lawsuit Alleges TWIA Fraudulently Reduced Claim Estimates From Hurricane Beryl
UnitedHealth Investor Suit Alleges Security, Governance Lapses
Thoma Bravo to Take Accelerant Private in $4 Billion Deal
Should Parents Be Responsible for Kids Getting Hurt and Killed on E-Bikes? 

