In 2013, InsuranceJournal.com readers flocked to news about insurance carriers (Travelers, Berkshire, Liberty Mutual, Tower and others) making moves, changes in Obamacare, the fate of federal flood insurance reforms and storm forecasters coming up short. The following is a list of the 25 most popular articles on InsuranceJournal.com since January, 2013.
1. Bipartisan Deal Reached to Delay Flood Insurance Premium Hikes: Waters
No deal ever passed and Congress adjourned without delaying Biggert-Waters provisions.
2. Another Obamacare Requirement Delayed
As it turned out, one of many.
3. What Employees Should Know About Healthcare Changes Ahead
Turns out there was a lot about the Obamacare rollout nobody anticipated.
4. Workplace Bullying Emerging As Major Employment Liability Battleground
While there were some bullying lawsuits, there was no onslaught …yet.
5. Federal Government Shutdown Effect on P/C Insurance Industry
6. Attorney Behind $43M Award for Ohio Agent Against Nationwide Insurance to File Class Action
Nothing like a carrier-agent spat to grab attention. Nationwide has disputed the claims.
7. Travelers’ Q2 Profit Climbs 85% to $925M; Auto Unit Layoffs Planned
Everyone has an opinion when a major carrier makes a move.
8. Quiet 2013 Hurricane Season a ‘Head Scratcher’ for Embarrassed Forecasters
People seem to like when forecasters are off the mark.
9. 2013 Hurricane Prediction: 72% Chance on East Coast; 48% for Florida
Boy, were they wrong! See No. 8.
10. GEICO Passes Allstate to Become 2d Largest U.S. Auto Insurer: SNL
This race isn’t over.
11. Top 10 Alcohol Brands of Underage Drinkers
Parents of college students, and liquor distributors, want to know.
12. Fifty Top Apps for Independent Agents
Readers had even more suggestions.
13. New Workers’ Compensation Formula Lowers Premiums for Most Employers
But other insureds were told to brace for hikes.
14. MetLife Moving 2,600 Jobs to North Carolina from Northeast, California
Tax breaks from North Carolina could reach $100 million.
15. Travelers Launching Low Cost, Segmented Product in New Personal Auto Strategy
Independent agents are still expressing concern.
16. Liberty Mutual to Phase Out 8 Regional Insurance Brands
Insurer moved to strengthen brand name.
17. Carnival Cruise Ship Passengers Have Little Cause to Sue
How cruise industry uses forum selection to control lawsuits.
18. Buffett Says Berkshire to Be ‘Significant Factor’ in Commercial Insurance
Just how significant could be interesting story of 2014.
19. U.S. Commercial Insurance Prices to Firm in 2013: Marsh
Did this prediction hold up?
20. Top 10 States for Hail Claims: State Farm
Hail claims cost almost $4 billion.
21. No Penalty for Employers Not Telling Employees About Obamacare
One of many late changes to Obamacare.
22. Most, Least Expensive States to Own a Car
Can Georgia really be the most expensive?
23. A.M. Best, Fitch Explain Recent Downgrades of Tower Group
Many are watching closely to see if Tower will remain standing.
24. Usage-Based Auto Insurance on Road to Becoming Standard Offering
It’s not your father’s car insurance.
25. Where to Find the Best Possible Cyber Coverage
Coverage could become even more of interest after the Target breach.