Virginia Tech President Charles Steger says the university has spent more than $10 million to increase security since the killing of 32 students and faculty by a deranged student last April.
Steger spoke to about 70 students and faculty members last week at a town hall meeting on changes since Seung-Hui Cho shot his victims and took his own life April 16.
Tech officials have made several changes, such as adding staff to help distressed students, creating an emergency e-mail alert system, establishing a threat assessment team to pinpoint those prone to violence, and installing locks on classroom doors.
Steger said other security changes, like upgrading the campus police communication system, are in the works.
Students and faculty asked questions and expressed concern that there will be violence on the one-year anniversary of the shootings, when classes will not be held but several events will honor the victims.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Florida Surplus Lines’ HO Premiums Now Average About the Same as Admitted Market
For Carriers, AI Can Now Mean Hyper-Personalized Customer Service, Leaders Say
Uber and FedEx Get Green Light for Racketeering Suit Against Lawyers, Doctors
The Big Dog Is Off the Tech Porch: State Farm as ‘Next Gen Good Neighbor’ 

