Dover Fire Chief Sean Christiansen says a substantial increase in kitchen fires may be tied to the downturn in the economy because more people are cooking at home.
Christiansen said Wednesday that firefighters have already received 138 reports of kitchen fires compared to 136 in all of last year and 110 in 2007.
He said the fires happen when something cooking on the stove is left unattended and catches fire.
The chief says people should pay attention and if food is burning, they should turn down the heat, remove it from the heat or put a lid on it.
The most recent kitchen fire broke out Wednesday afternoon at an apartment complex.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.