1 Electrocuted, 1 Hurt while Making Repairs in Virginia

November 30, 2009

One worker is dead and another is seriously injured after being shocked by an electric line while making repairs at the site of a water main break in Arlington, Virginia.

The county identified the worker as 59-year-old James Bea, a 24-year county employee, who died Wednesday. The other worker, who was not named, suffered electrical burns.

Safety officials say the two men came into contact with a power line as they removed lighting that was used by crews working overnight to repair a broken pipe on Old Glebe Road.

The county says it’s working with the state’s workplace safety agency to investigate the accident.

Dominion Power had cut power to make the area safe for rescuers, affecting about 1,000 customers, but it’s now been restored. Repairs to the water main continued after new cracks opened.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.