A federal judge has barred New York City from hiring new firefighters after criticizing its handling of a discrimination lawsuit against the fire department.
Judge Nicholas Garaufis (GEHR’-ah-fuhs) said Tuesday his permanent injunction would be lifted if the city agreed to court-proposed hiring methods.
The judge previously ruled the entrance exams were discriminatory to black and Hispanic applicants and ordered the city to create a new test.
The city has said it wants to hire new firefighters for safety reasons. In his ruling, Garaufis noted the city now is thinking of eliminating existing firefighter jobs. He says those contradictory positions have diverted the parties from developing a new exam.
The city’s law department called the judge’s statements unfair.
Topics Legislation New York Talent
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Seven People Charged in $100M Workers’ Compensation Fraud Operation in Florida
One Battle After Another: What TPLF Victory in One State Means for Others
At-Bay to Be Acquired by Munich Re for $575 Million
Rhine River Shipping Stalls as Water Level Hits Record Low 

