As a winter storm whips across the region, officials in Vermont are issuing winter weather safety tips.The Burlington Fire Department is urging residents to keep gas meters and appliance vents clear of snow and ice.
Officials say if a vent is blocked, an appliance could malfunction and create a dangerous build-up of carbon monoxide.
Officials are reminding people to make sure carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are properly installed. And anyone who smells a gas odor should leave the area and call 911.
Fire officials also suggest shoveling out fire hydrants and building exits so the fire department can find and access them during an emergency.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.