Fatal Rhode Island Fire Ruled as Accident

November 1, 2019

Authorities say a fire in a Newport home that killed a retired teacher and coach has been ruled an accident that started in the kitchen.

The Newport Daily News reported Sunday that Deputy State Fire Marshal Kevin Morris says the fire Sept. 1 was caused either by an electrical appliance or by unattended food left on the stove.

The victim was identified as 68-year-old Stephen Croughan, a longtime teacher and cross country coach in the Middletown schools.

Chief Deputy Michael Sweeney with the Office of the State Fire Marshal says it is believed Croughan was cooking in the kitchen before he sustained burns and “went upstairs and collapsed on his bed.”

Information from: The Newport Daily News.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.