SiriusPoint Ltd., the Bermuda-based international specialty insurance and reinsurance company, has launched today with more than $3 billion in initial capital.
The company was created from the merger of specialty reinsurer Third Point Reinsurance Ltd. and Sirius International Insurance Group Ltd., a multi-line insurer and reinsurer. The deal was first announced in August 2020.
SiriusPoint has launched as one of the first substantial re/insurers of the Class of 2020, with a robust capital structure, global platform, underwriting talent, and long-standing client and broker relationships already in place, said the company in a statement.
“This is a strategic union of two highly complementary organizations. SiriusPoint is an opportunity to leverage our combined strengths and re-focus our organization on profitability, innovative partnerships and solutions,” said Sid Sankaran, chief executive officer and chairman of SiriusPoint.
“Our breadth of footprint combined with the ability to be nimble and responsive will be truly differentiating,” he added.
“We aspire to be a disruptive force in the industry and drive technology innovation – with skilled underwriting at the core of everything we do. We have set a goal to challenge the status quo and define new ways of conducting business with diversity of thought and expertise. I am very excited about our future. We are building a company and a culture we can be proud of.”
SiriusPoint is built around a global platform that provides insurance and reinsurance solutions services to clients and brokers in almost 150 countries with access to admitted and non-admitted paper in Europe, the U.S., Bermuda, and Lloyd’s of London. A new division, Insurance and Services, has been formed to seek out strategic investment and partnership opportunities.
SiriusPoint’s insurance lines include environmental, property, energy, workers compensation, and aviation and space. The company’s reinsurance lines include life, accident and health, property, marine and energy, casualty, aviation and space, and credit and bond. SiriusPoint also offers runoff solutions.
SiriusPoint also announced the appointment of two new members to its board of directors:
- Franklin (Tad) Montross is the former chairman and chief executive officer of General Reinsurance, a Berkshire Hathaway owned company, and held responsibility until 2016 for global underwriting policies, practices and protocols, as well as its actuarial and risk management areas.
- Sharon M. Ludlow is a seasoned C-suite executive and corporate director, with more than 25 years’ experience in the life and health, and property and casualty reinsurance and insurance industries. During the course of her career, Ludlow served as president and CEO of the Canadian operations of Swiss Re and as President of Aviva Insurance Company of Canada.
As previously announced, Rachelle Keller, a director of Sirius Group, and Peter W. H. Tan from CM Bermuda Ltd., are also joining SiriusPoint’s board of directors. The remaining members of the board will transition from their equivalent roles at Third Point Re.
Source: SiriusPoint Ltd.
- Third Point Re Announces Appointments to SiriusPoint Leadership Team
- Third Point Re Hires 3 Senior Leaders Ahead of Anticipated Merger with Sirius
- Third Point Re and Sirius Group Get Shareholder Nod for $788M Merger
- How Insurance Industry Might Respond if a Pandemic Is an Act of Terror
- For Third Point Re, COVID-19 Crisis Hurts, but It Celebrates 1st Underwriting Profit
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.