Health officials say 11 people died and 118 were injured in Minnesota hospitals and surgery centers last year from medical mistakes that were preventable.
The Minnesota Department of Health’s annual report says the deaths included three infants who died during what were supposed to be uncomplicated deliveries. It’s the 15th year the health department has compiled an “adverse event” report which seeks to motivate improvements in hospital safety.
The state reported 384 errors in the 12-month period that ended Oct. 6 last year. That includes 17 severe medication errors and 33 incidents in which irreplaceable biological specimens from patients were lost. The Star Tribune says that’s an increase from 342 errors reported in the prior year.
Errors involving surgeries on the wrong body parts declined from 37 two years ago to 24 last year.
Topics Trends
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says
US Ready to ‘Take Any Actions Necessary’ to Fight EU ESG Rules
Meta Stares Down Trillion-Dollar Threat as Landmark Social Media Trial Begins
State Farm Must Give Up Trade Secrets in Claims Lawsuits, but Under Court Review 

