Insurance regulators and an industry trade group are warning that this month’s roll-out of the health insurance marketplaces created by federal law opened the door for bad actors at the same time that it has given brokers and agents a business opportunity.
New Hampshire’s insurance commissioner sent a cease-and-desist letter last week to an Arizona company he accused of building a website that could mislead health care coverage shoppers into thinking it was the official New Hampshire marketplace. The site was taken down on Friday.
Regulators in Washington state and Pennsylvania also have told private agents to change websites that seemed likely to convince consumers they were connecting to government-run sites. Connecticut’s insurance department warned agents and brokers this summer that it will take action against agents who mislead consumers or design sites to replicate the state-run exchange.
Topics Agencies
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
CFC Owners Said to Tap Banks for Sale, IPO of £5 Billion Insurer
AI Claim Assistant Now Taking Auto Damage Claims Calls at Travelers
Preparing for an AI Native Future
Florida Engineers: Winds Under 110 mph Simply Do Not Damage Concrete Tiles 

