Huntsville, Ala., housing officials aren’t saying what they will do about independent testing that found high levels of radioactive gas in public housing.
Al.com reports that the testing found high levels of radon in apartments owned by the Huntsville Housing Authority.
Reporters tested for cancer-causing radon last year, with the help of public housing tenants as part of a national investigation into radon in public housing.
Authority executive director Sandra Eddlemon said in a statement the agency uses federal funding to fulfill its mission to the best of its ability.
Eddlemon’s statement did not mention the radon testing but said, “our residents are very important to us.”
Radon seeps in through flooring. It’s the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the U.S., killing an estimated 21,000 Americans each year.
Information from: The Birmingham News
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.