Assistance Also Available for Renters in Flooded Eastern Kentucky

August 11, 2022
New You can now listen to Insurance Journal articles!

Federal assistance is available not just for homeowners, but also for renters whose homes and property were damaged by recent floods in eastern Kentucky.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency said individual assistance is available to renters as well as homeowners and can help pay for temporary housing, the Associated Press reported.

Eligible counties include: Breathitt, Clay, Floyd, Knott, Leslie, Letcher, Magoffin, Martin, Owsley, Perry, Pike and Whitley, FEMA said.

Uninsured essential personal property losses and other disaster-related expenses also may fall under the agency’s “other needs” assistance program for renters. Expenses may include replacement or repair of furniture, clothing, tools, primary vehicles, medical, moving and storage.

Applications can be made online at, by calling (800) 621-3362 or by using the FEMA mobile app.

Photo: Jeff Hawkins helps clean his father’s antique store, called Curiosity Shop, in Fleming-Neon, Kentucky, after recent massive flooding. When the storm hit, Hawkins was about two weeks from opening a multipurpose center in a former car dealership. (AP Photo/Brynn Anderson)

Topics Flood Kentucky

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.