Southern California Supermarket Has Toxic Spill

November 5, 2009

Fire officials say six people, including four firefighters, were taken Tuesday to a hospital because of a toxic spill inside a supermarket in Irvine.

Orange County Fire Authority Captain Greg McKeown said firefighters were called to the Ralphs market at about 7 p.m. on Tuesday. They noticed a haze of toxic fumes inside the store and determined that the chemical Freon was leaking from a refrigerator.

McKeown says four firefighters and two other people began to feel sick from inhaling the fumes and were taken to a hospital. All are expected to recover.

Firefighters are using fans to air out the building so crews can enter and make repairs.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.