A Los Angeles, Calif. jury has awarded $13 million to a 73-year-old woman who contracted a deadly disease from using asbestos-containing talcum powder manufactured by Colgate-Palmolive Co.
The verdict Tuesday in Superior Court found that New York-based Colgate was 95 percent responsible for Judith Winkel’s mesothelioma, a fatal lung disease.
Winkel’s lawyers say she got the disease from using Cashmere Bouquet talcum powder.
A spokesman for Colgate didn’t immediately return after-hours messages seeking comment, and lawyers who represented the company didn’t immediately respond to a phone call or emails.
Lawyers for Winkel say they reached a confidential settlement Wednesday before the jury was set to hear evidence to determine punitive damages.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.