A man who says he was molested by his parish priest decades ago vows to proceed with a lawsuit targeting all Catholic bishops in California after a judge dismissed part of the suit.
The so-called “nuisance” lawsuit filed in October by Thomas Emens claims a civil conspiracy among church officials to cover up clergy assault and move offending priests to other parishes.
Last week a judge dismissed 5 of the lawsuit’s causes of action, while upholding 3 others.
Emens’ attorney, Jeff Anderson, said at a news conference Monday that the judge’s decision will still allow him to examine church documents. Anderson says the lawsuit’s goal is to force the church to reveal the names of all priests accused of molestation.
Steve Greene, a lawyer for the California Catholic Conference, says the fate of the 3 remaining causes of action remains uncertain and will be determined at a future hearing.
Topics Lawsuits California
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
BMW Recalls Hundreds of Thousands of Cars Over Fire Risk
Florida Insurance Costs 14.5% Lower Than Without Reforms, Report Finds
Insurance Issue Leaves Some Players Off World Baseball Classic Rosters
AIG’s Zaffino: Outcomes From AI Use Went From ‘Aspirational’ to ‘Beyond Expectations’ 

