Gov. Seve Sisolak has declared a state of emergency after Nevada’s biggest earthquake in 65 years caused significant damage to three U.S. highways, including the major route connecting Reno to Las Vegas.
Sisolak said his declaration late last week will make the state eligible for emergency funding from the Federal Highway Administration to help cover highway repair costs expected to exceed $700,000.
No one was killed or seriously injured in the 6.5-magnitude quake in west-central Nevada about 35 miles west of Tonopah on May 15.
But Sisolak said the temblor caused extensive damage to U.S. Highway 95, U.S. Route 6 and U.S. Route 360, disrupting travel in Esmeralda, Mineral and Nye counties.
He said emergency repairs allowed the roadways to reopen, but further inspections revealed the destruction was beyond normal repair.
The early morning earthquake cracked storefront windows and knocked goods off shelves in Tonopah about half way between Reno and Las Vegas. It was felt as far away as Salt Lake City and California’s Central Valley.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.