Officials in Rhode Island are creating a new position to prosecute fraud in the state’s unemployment and workers’ compensation program.
The state’s Department of Labor and Training announced the new position on Monday.
The prosecutor will be tasked with rooting out cases in which individuals wrongfully receive unemployment or workers’ compensation benefits.
Gov. Lincoln Chafee says that by targeting misuse of public benefits the state is sending a message that fraud won’t be tolerated.
The Department of Labor and Training says it recovered $5.5 million in overpayments to beneficiaries last year.
Topics Fraud Workers' Compensation
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Taylor Farms, Taco Bell Face Multiple Lawsuits Over Cyclospora Outbreak
Almost All Top US Companies Had Board Diversity Rules. Now Most Are Gone
AI’s Volatile Power Demand Is Damaging Its Own Data Centers
Tornado Alley’s on the Move and Creating New Risk Concerns, Modeler Says 

