Officials say a child who was burning items on the family’s deck in western Maryland was responsible for igniting the flames that destroyed the two-story home.
Maryland Master Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst says the Saturday night fire in Smithsburg was caused by “juvenile fire play” that occurred while the parents were not home.
The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown reports that no one was injured in the fire.
Smithsburg Volunteer Fire Co. Lt. Steven Lewis says the family – the parents, three children and a dog – found shelter through family members and friends.
Ernst estimated the value of the damage to the structure and its contents at $120,000.
Information from: The Herald-Mail of Hagerstown, Md.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.