The backers of a failed multimillion-dollar campaign to build a third casino in Maine are suing the state ethics commission over a $500,000 fine.
The Portland Press Herald reports casino entrepreneur Shawn Scott’s sister, Lisa Scott, filed the suit Monday in Kennebec County Superior Court.
The Maine Commission on Governmental Ethics and Election Practices levied the fine last year against the four committees behind the referendum. The commission said the Horseracing Jobs Fairness committee failed to meet finance report filing deadlines.
Voters overwhelmingly rejected the proposal for the casino in November.
Scott’s attorney, Bruce Merrill, says all but one contribution was reported accurately. Merrill says the fine is excessive and the commission’s decision was “affected by bias and errors of law.”
The commission doesn’t comment on pending legal cases.
Information from: Portland Press Herald
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Picasso Etching Stolen From Wisconsin Art Gallery Found in Vacant Apartment
General Contractor Found Not Liable for Subcontractor Employee’s Injury
Seven People Charged in $100M Workers’ Compensation Fraud Operation in Florida
11 New Firms Join Insurance Journal’s Top 100 Independent Agencies 

