A possible chemical leak at a Massachusetts electronic cigarette manufacturer resulted in a hazmat response and the hospitalization of dozens of plant workers.
Officials say a hazmat team was called to the e-cigarette plant in Salem Sunday afternoon to investigate a reported chlorine leak, deeming the building safe around 8 p.m. Sunday. The state fire marshal’s office says multiple ambulances were called to the same scene about an hour later, where officials say 30 people were hospitalized after reported difficulty breathing and nausea, among other symptoms.
Salem Deputy Fire Chief Alan Dionne described the scene as “mass hysteria,” saying workers were rushing out of the building. Dionne says no deaths have been reported.
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.