Residents of a New Mexico town were ordered to flee their homes on Monday due to a fast-moving wildfire.
The town of Ruidoso, with roughly 7,000 residents, was ordered to immediately evacuate from the South Fork and Salt fires.
“An emergency mandatory GO evacuation has been issued for the entire Village of Ruidoso due to the South Fork Fire,” states a government warning that went out late Monday. “The evacuation area extends from Sudderth/Mechem to Freedom Bloom at Big O Tire.”
The Public Service Company of New Mexico shut off power to part of the village. The state forestry division said multiple structures were under threat and several had been lost. A portion of US highway 70 was closed.
The state forestry division said the fire covered roughly 8.2 square miles and was 0% contained.
Topics Catastrophe Natural Disasters Wildfire
Was this article valuable?
Here are more articles you may enjoy.
Should Parents Be Responsible for Kids Getting Hurt and Killed on E-Bikes?
Picasso Etching Stolen From Wisconsin Art Gallery Found in Vacant Apartment
General Contractor Found Not Liable for Subcontractor Employee’s Injury
Jury Finds No Gun Defect, Sides With Sig Sauer in Unintended Discharge Case 

